Lodge Tour in the Madre de Dios jungle: macaw clay lick and Sandoval Lake 4 days
About this tour
- Duration: 4 days and 3 nights.
- Start: Pick up from the airport or land terminal of Puerto Maldonado.
- Tourist attractions to visit: Tambopata National Park, Macaw Clay Lick, Sandoval Lake and Dosel Tower.
- Type of transport: Tourist transportation throughout the tour (ground transportation and tourist boat for excursions).
- Tickets (included): Entrance ticket to all tourist attractions.
- Tour guide: Professional guide in Spanish or English.
- Tourist accommodation: 2 nights at Chuncho Lodge Tambopata Natural Reserve / 1 night at a lodge on Lake Sandoval.
- Payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, PayPal.
- Immediate confirmation.
- Get to know the incredible flora and fauna of the Peruvian Amazon, one of the most mysterious and amazing places in South America. The 4-day tour at the Madre de Dios Jungle Lodge includes a visit to beautiful landscapes such as the macaw clay lick and Sandoval Lake. The tour offers an ecological lodge in the jungle for 4 days and 3 nights. In addition, it includes food (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners). On all excursions you will have the company of a professional tour guide. Entrance fees and transportation are also included. The tour is a safe service, well organized and all within an idyllic landscape and geography.
This is the experience
- The tour begins with the pick-up of the tourist from the airport or land terminal of the city of Puerto Maldonado in the Peruvian jungle. The day we will travel by car and boat to the Chuncho Lodge where we will spend wonderful days with day and night excursions with sightings of birds, plants, reptiles and mammals. On day 2, for example, we will visit the macaw clay lick. On day 3, after a car and boat trip, Lake Sandoval with otter sightings and more. On the 4th we will return to Puerto Maldonado for the farewell. The tour includes everything: pickup, transportation, 3 nights in the eco lodge, professional guide, food and more.
Day 1: Arrival in Puerto Maldonado and transfer to Chuncho Lodge
- The tour begins with the pick-up of the tourist at the airport or land terminal of the city of Puerto Maldonado (capital of the department of Madre de Dios).
- An assistant will transfer you to the office so you can organize your luggage. He can leave the necessary luggage in the offices and continue the trip with what he considers necessary.
- After the welcome, aboard a tourist transport, we will travel to the banks of the Tambopata River to board a boat until arriving at the Chuncho eco lodge, in the Tambopata jungle. Transportation takes approximately 2 hours.
- Once at the hostel we will have a warm welcome. We will stay in a comfortable eco-style room. In the afternoon we will have a delicious lunch included. At sunset we will take a small trek through the jungle where we can have beautiful views from the forty-meter tower.
- Likewise, at night we can take a short excursion to appreciate nocturnal animals such as frogs, tarantulas, birds and even monkeys.
- At night, after dinner included, we will have time to relax in the lodge facilities before sleeping in the heart of the Peruvian Amazon jungle.
Day 2: Excursion to macaw clay lick
- On the second day we will get up around 4:30 in the morning to take a boat trip to the macaw clay lick. The trip along the current of the Tambopata River is 1 hour 30 minutes. On the way we will also observe the wonderful Amazonian vegetation. With luck you will be able to observe mammals such as the jaguar, the ronsoco, the sachavaca, monkeys and more.
- Once at the clay lick we can see how, with the first rays of the sun, dozens of parrots and macaws come there to feed on the natural clay on the banks of the river. It is a beautiful spectacle where fantastic photographs are obtained. Here too, if nature so wishes, we can see other species of mammals or reptiles from the Peruvian jungle.
- After this experience we will return to the lodge to enjoy the tourist breakfast included in the tour.
- Then we will have the morning free at the lodge facilities. After the delicious included lunch, in the afternoon, we can take an ethnobotanical excursion, always accompanied by a professional guide.
- At night, after enjoying the tourist dinner, we will have the night to take more night walks in the jungle or simply rest in the Chuncho Lodge facilities.
Day 3: Visit to Laguna Sandoval and overnight in a lodge
- Early we will have breakfast at the lodge and then board a boat to the city of Puerto Maldonado. After that, a road trip will be made to the office, ready to begin the tour to Lake Sandoval.
- After organizing the necessary luggage, we will travel by road to the port of Capitanía to embark along the Madre de Dios River to the entrance to Lake Sandoval in the Tambopata National Reserve (estimated boat trip of 40 minutes).
- After completing the necessary registration (entrance fees included) we will access a 3 kilometer path (45 minute walk) to reach the lake. On this walk we will be able to see different species of birds, monkeys, reptiles and mammals.
- On the shores of Lake Sandoval we will board a rowing boat for a ride while we will spot rare species among which, without a doubt, the river otters or giant otters stand out. We can also see alligators (harmless reptiles).
- At night, after a more than interesting day, full of experiences, we will return to the eco lodge in the tourist area of Lake Sandoval where, after dinner, it is time to rest.
Day 4: Animal sighting and farewell
- The fourth and final day begins with breakfast at the lodge located next to Lake Sandoval. There, in addition, we can appreciate a beautiful sunrise surrounded by vegetation, the murmur of the jungle and the murmur of birds and wild animals.
- Next, we will take a boat that will take us to the hiking point that, after a last transportation trip, will take us to the city of Puerto Maldonado. The tour culminates with the final transfer of the tourist to the city’s land terminal or airport.
- Pick up of the tourist at the land terminal or at the airport of the city of Puerto Maldonado (prior coordination).
- 2 nights of tourist accommodation in the eco lodge ‘Chuncho’ in Tambopata / 1 night of tourist accommodation in the lodge of Lake Sandoval.
- Complete tourist transportation (transfer to eco-lodge and boat rides).
- Professional bilingual tourism guide.
- Complete tourist meals: 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners.
- Entrance ticket to all tourist attractions.
- Return to the land terminal or airport of the city of Puerto Maldonado (prior coordination).
- Tour cancellation option.
- Tour date change option.
- Phone calls or tips.
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothing for hot tropical weather with temperatures of 32ºC. in the day and 24ºC. at night.
- Cap or hat.
- Mosquito repellent.
- Passport or identity document.
- Cash for extra purchases.
- Personal hygiene utensils.
Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour begins with the pick-up of the tourist at the land terminal or airport of Puerto Maldonado (after coordination).
- The tour concludes with the transfer of the tourist to the land terminal or airport of Puerto Maldonado (after coordination).
How to prevent altitude sickness?
- The city of Puerto Maldonado, Tambopata and Lake Sandoval are located almost at sea level (approximately 185 meters above sea level), which is why there is no problem with altitude or mountain sickness.
Group or private services
- Do you want to take the 4-day Lodge Tour in the Madre de Dios jungle in private service? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (+51) 982 108 083.
What to see in Tambopata?
The Tambopata National Reserve is a protected area in Peru as it is home to a wide variety of species of Amazonian flora and fauna. It belongs to the department of Madre de Dios, in southern eastern Peru, covering an area of 274,690 hectares. Due to its isolation, it has a natural area full of vegetation, wild animals and species of flora. There are high quality lodges there. This offers a great experience to the tourist.
How to get to Puerto Maldonado from Lima?
The city of Puerto Maldonado is located 1,579 kilometers by road from the city of Lima, capital of Peru. The trip by land takes approximately 29 hours. The trip via air takes 1 hour 30 minutes on average.
Are there many mosquitoes in Tambopata?
Tambopata is a tropical Amazon area where mosquitoes abound, which makes unaccustomed tourists uncomfortable. It is recommended to use mosquito repellent.
How to cancel the 4-day Lodge Tour in the Madre de Dios jungle?
Yes, once the purchase is made you can cancel the tour. To do this, you must send an email to the address: email@example.com. The last deadline to request it is 5 days before. Cancellation has a penalty of 25% of the tour value (refund of 75% of the tour value).
Can I change the date of my 4-day Lodge Tour in the Madre de Dios jungle?
Yes, you can modify the tour date by sending an email to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org (5 days before the tour as the latest deadline). The cost of the modification is 10% of the tour value.
How to pay for the 4-day Lodge Tour in the Madre de Dios jungle?
You can pay for the 4-day Lodge tour in the Madre de Dios jungle with the following payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club or PayPal. Payment is online by sending 100% of the tour value.
What vaccines are recommended before taking the tour?
Although vaccinations are not mandatory to visit the Peruvian jungle, health organizations recommend having vaccinations against yellow fever (at least 10 days before).
How to get from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado?
The city of Cusco is located 477 kilometers by road from the city of Puerto Maldonado. You can arrive on a 9-hour interprovincial bus trip or via a flight of approximately 1 hour.