Humantay Lagoon Tour for Peruvians
About this tour
- Start: Pick up from the door of the tourist’s hotel at 4 am.
- Duration: 14 hours (4 am – 6 pm).
- Transport service: Complete tourist transport in a spacious minivan.
- Entrance not included: 20 PEN foreign and 10 PEN Peruvian
- Feeding. Breakfast and lunch buffet on the route (town of Mollepata).
- Tour guide: Group service in English and Spanish.
- Payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, PayPal.
- Immediate confirmation.
Where is the Humantay Lagoon?
The Humantay lagoon is located 124 kilometers northeast of the city of Cusco. It belongs to the district of Mollepata (in the province of Anta) in the mountains that make up the Cordillera de Vilcabamba. The lagoon is at the foot of the snowy Humantay. Tourists will be able to reach a maximum altitude of 4,200 meters above sea level. To get there you travel by tourist transport for almost 4 hours. Finally, the route is completed with a walk of almost 2 hours along steep roads surrounded by high mountains. Optionally, the tourist can hire a horse.
- The economic tour to the Humantay lagoon is an excellent option to get to know one of the most beautiful landscapes of Cusco and at a promotional price. The service includes everything you need for a comfortable trip: hotel pick-up, complete tourist transportation, professional guide, as well as buffet-style breakfast and lunch. Does not include tickets to the Humantay lagoon, which are purchased on the same route at a price of 20 PEN for foreigners and 10 PEN for Peruvians. The tour starts at 4 am and ends at 6 pm in Cusco.
This is the experience
- Humantay offers the experience of appreciating one of the most wonderful landscapes on the trip to Cusco. The turquoise waters of the lagoon are photographed by hundreds of tourists every day. The final walk to get there is also a memorable adventure. Although the route is hard, it is not impossible and everyone can complete it. The tour is organized to offer a comfortable, safe and memorable experience. The tour is suitable for people of all ages.
- The tour to the Humantay lagoon begins with the pick up of each tourist from the door of their hotel in the city of Cusco. The pick up will take place between 4 am and 4.20 am.
- Once the group is together, we will leave in a large tourist minivan heading to the Humantay lagoon. The journey is long, it takes almost 4 hours. However, before arriving we will make a stop in the town of Mollepata to enjoy a buffet-style breakfast.
- Breakfast is prepared with delicious and nutritious Andean ingredients: Cusco breads, coffee, juices, infusions, butter, jam, yogurt, cereals, fruits, scrambled eggs and more. The tourist will have almost 1 hour to have breakfast.
- After breakfast, the group will board the tourist transport to finish the trip towards Humantay. After leaving behind high mountains, we arrive at the Soraypampa camp, at an altitude of 3,900 meters above sea level. There we will get ready to begin the walk to the lagoon.
- The tour guide will accompany us on this arduous walk of approximately 3 kilometers. Optionally, the tourist can ask a local muleteer for a horse to be taken to the lagoon (cost of 60 PEN one way and 90 PEN round trip approximately). Going on foot takes between 1 to 2 hours depending on the physical condition of the tourist. Going on horseback takes approximately 40 minutes.
- The walk begins with a flat stretch and then ascends steep slopes that will take many visitors’ breath away. However, the route is suitable for everyone. It is recommended not to have heart problems.
- In the Humantay lagoon we will have time available to get the best photographs. It is forbidden to bathe in its cold waters. The guide will be able to give us explanations about the importance of the lagoon and the mountains that surround it in Inca times.
- After enjoying one of the best landscapes of Cusco and Peru, we will return on foot to Soraypampa. The way back is easier because it mostly goes downhill (it takes approximately 1 hour).
- In Soraypampa the group will board the tourist transport to make the trip to the town of Mollepata where we will enjoy a buffet-style lunch that includes: soups, salads, tequeños, guacamole, rice, pasta, stews, meat (fish, beef, chicken), fruits, hot infusions and more.
- After lunch, the group will board the tourist transport to make the return trip to the city of Cusco. The tour ends at around 6 pm in a central square of the city of Cusco or at the door of the visitor’s hotel.
Differences between the trip to Humantay and the 7 Colors Mountain
The tour to the Humantay lagoon and the 7 Colors Mountain are two of the most requested services by tourists in Cusco. Both tourist destinations have several aspects in common. Get to know their similarities and differences and be encouraged to take the tour of your dreams.
Humantay Lagoon Tour
7 Colors Mountain Tour
|Tour start time||4 a.m. in Cusco||5 a.m. in Cusco|
|Tour end time||6 p.m. in Cusco||6 p.m. in Cusco|
|Altitude of the tourist destination||4,200 masl||5,200 masl|
|Final walk||3 kilometers on uphill roads||5 kilometers on flat roads and uphill|
|Horse rental option||Yes (90 PEN round trip approximately)||Yes (90 PEN round trip approximately)|
|Tourist attractions to visit on the tour||Humantay Lagoon, beautiful landscape of Peru||Mountain 7 Colors, amazing landscape in Peru|
|Breakfast included||Yes, buffet style in Mollepata||Yes, buffet in Cusipata|
|Lunch included||Yes, buffet style in Mollepata||Yes, buffet in Cusipata|
|Transport||Full tourist transport included||Full tourist transport included|
|Tourist guide||Included professional guide in Spanish or English||Included professional guide in Spanish or English|
|Entrance tickets||20 PEN foreign tourist / 10 PEN Peruvian tourist||25 PEN foreign tourist / 15 PEN Peruvian tourist|
|Tour price||120 PEN||120 PEN|
Humantay Lagoon Tour for Peruvians
Price per person
- Pick up from the tourist hotel in Cusco.
- Comfortable and safe complete transportation in a spacious minivan.
- Buffet breakfast and lunch.
- Professional tour guide service in English and Spanish.
- Option to cancel the tour and change the date (up to 3 days before).
- Entrance to the Humantay lagoon (20 PEN foreign / 10 PEN Peruvian).
- Transportation on horseback from Soraypampa to the lagoon (optional at 90 PEN per tourist round trip).
- Snacks and drinks.
What to bring to the tour?
- Valid identity document or passport.
- Cap, hat or chullo.
- Comfortable clothes for walking.
- A windbreaker jacket.
- Raincoat for rainy cases.
- Snacks and drinks.
- Comfortable and resistant shoes for walks.
- Thick cotton socks.
Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour begins at 4 am with the pick up of the tourist at the door of his hotel in the city of Cusco.
- The pick up is valid only for hotels in the historic center of the city (the vast majority of hotels are there). If your hotel is not located in the center of Cusco, we can pick you up in a central square.
- The tour ends in the center of the city of Cusco or at the door of the tourist’s hotel at around 6 pm.
How to prevent altitude sickness?
- The Humantay lagoon is located at 4,200 meters above sea level. Due to this elevation, altitude sickness can cause symptoms such as: dizziness, fatigue or nausea. However, the symptoms usually reduce as the tourist acclimatizes to the altitude of Cusco (one or two days of acclimatization are recommended before the tour).
- To reduce the symptoms of altitude sickness, it is recommended to drink coca leaf infusions (a natural plant used by the Incas) as well as avoiding fatty foods or drinking too much alcoholic beverages.
Group or private services
- The information described applies to shared services (for a varied group of tourists). If you want a private service (for your own group of family or friends) contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the difference between the cheap Humantay tour and the classic tour?
The economic tour to the Humantay lagoon includes everything except the entrance fees to the lagoon. These tickets can be purchased during the tour. The classic tour includes everything, including entrance tickets. In addition, the economic tour rate is promotional.
What does and does not include the tour?
The economic tour to the Humantay lagoon includes: pick up from the hotel, full round trip tourist transportation, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and professional tour guide service. Does not include entrance fees to the lagoon. Transportation on horseback is optional and is contracted in the same place (not included).
How long before should I book the tour to Humantay?
The tour to the Humantay lagoon has wide availability. You can hire it a few days in advance without problems.
How much does the horseback ride to the Humantay lagoon cost?
The tour to the Humantay lagoon requires a final walk of approximately 3 kilometers to the lagoon. This walk, optionally, can be done on the back of a horse pulled by a local muleteer. The cost is 90 PEN round trip (60 PEN one way).
How much does the entrance to the Humantay lagoon cost?
The entrance ticket to the Humantay lagoon is not included in the tour. The tourist must buy it during the tour with the assistance of the accompanying tour guide. The cost is 20 PEN for foreign tourists and 10 PEN for Peruvian tourists.
Can I cancel this tour?
Yes, you can cancel the tour by paying a penalty. The last deadline is three days before the day the tour starts. Requests must be sent by email to email@example.com. The cancellation has a penalty of 25% of the cost of the tour (reimbursement of 75% of the value paid). The refund is through the means that the tourist used to make the payment (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club or PayPal). The time it takes is determined by the payment gateway (approximately 1 month).
Can I change the date of the tour already purchased to the Humantay lagoon?
Yes, you can request the change of date (or tour holders) by paying a penalty that must be added through a payment link to your email. The latest deadline is three days before the day the tour begins. Requests must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Changes have a penalty of 10% of the cost of the tour.
How is the hike to the Humantay lagoon?
The hike to the Humantay lagoon begins at the Soraypampa camp. This route is ascending for approximately 3 kilometers. The first section of 1 kilometer is on flat roads. The ascent is 2 kilometers along dirt roads surrounded by mountains. The ascent is arduous since it covers paths with a slope at an altitude close to 4,000 meters above sea level. The walk at a slow pace takes 1 hour 40 minutes. In case the visitors are older adults or people in poor physical condition, they can rent a horse to complete the route. However, the vast majority of tourists can do the walk.