Humantay Lagoon Full Day Tour
About this tour
- Start: Pick up from the door of the tourist’s hotel.
- Duration: 14 hours.
- Type of transport: Large full equipment minivan.
- Tickets included (no queues): Entrance to the Humantay lagoon.
- Tour guide: In English and Spanish (shared service).
- Feeding. Buffet breakfast and lunch.
- Payment methods: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, PayPal.
- Horse transport (not included).
- Immediate confirmation.
- Get to know one of the most visited natural landscapes in Cusco, the famous Humantay lagoon, considered sacred by the Incas. The tour includes transportation, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, tour guide, entrance to the lagoon and hiking equipment. Get one of the most popular photos in all of Peru!
So is the experience
- Enjoy the scenic beauty that the Humantay lagoon offers within a complete tour that includes full transportation, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, tour guide service and equipment for the trek. The tour also offers a special ceremony to ‘mother earth’ in the lagoon. In the end, each visitor will have free time to enjoy the lagoon on their own.
- Start the tour with the pick up of the tourist at the same door of your hotel. The group will travel by minivan for 2 hours 30 minutes to the town of Mollepata in southern Cusco.
- In Mollepata each visitor will descend to the restaurant ‘Casa Salkantay’ to enjoy a buffet breakfast.
- Afterwards, the group will board the minivan again to go, after 1 hour of travel, to the Soraypampa camp where the group will get ready to start the walk towards the lagoon with the tour guide.
- The trek to the Humantay lagoon is difficult due to the geography’s altitude above 4,200 meters of sea level (13,779 ft). This lasts between 1 and 2 hours, depending on the physical condition of the visitor. Once in the Humantay lagoon, the visitor will have free time to take the respective photos with the lagoon in the background.
- Before returning to Soraypampa camp, the tour guide will hold a ceremony for ‘mother earth’ with the participation of visitors. Then we will take the same outward route to return to the Soraypampa camp. This walk is not as difficult as the climb so it will take approximately 1 hour.
- In Soraypampa we will board the minivan to return to Mollepata where we will enjoy our delicious buffet lunch.
- I return to Cusco.
- Pick up from the hotel.
- Complete comfortable and safe transport.
- Buffet breakfast and lunch.
- Tourist guide service in English and Spanish.
- Entrance to the lagoon.
- Walking sticks for the walk.
- Tour cancellation option.
- Transport by horse from Soraypampa to the lagoon.
- Snacks and drinks.
What to bring
- Passport (or identity document).
- Hat or cap.
- Comfortable clothes.
- A jacket.
- Poncho for rain.
- Snacks and drinks.
- Comfortable hiking shoes.
- Cash in case you want to shop for crafts.
Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour begins with pick up from your hotel in the Historic Center of Cusco (most hotels are in this tourist area).
- If your hotel is not located in the Historic Center of Cusco, we can pick you up at Plaza Regocijo. The tour ends at Plaza Regocijo in the city center (a few steps from most hotels and tourist restaurants).
How to prevent altitude sickness?
- Altitude sickness or soroche can cause you some discomfort during your visit such as dizziness, fatigue or nausea. Try to avoid alcoholic beverages and fatty foods before the visit.
- To reduce symptoms, try to acclimatize yourself one day before to the altitude of the city of Cusco. Drinking infusions of coca leaf (natural plant used by the Incas) is an excellent option.
Group or private services
- The information described applies to shared services (for a varied group of tourists). If you want a private service (for your own group of family or friends) contact us at email@example.com.
Can I go to Humantay with children?
The visit to the Humantay lagoon includes an uphill walk of 1 to 2 hours. This route is a bit demanding, so it is recommended only for children with walking ability (preferably over 8 years old). Otherwise, you could rent a horse to get to the lagoon.
Is the Humantay lagoon ideal for older adults?
Older adults in good physical condition (with no muscle, joint or heart ailments) can safely take this route.
How long before I must make the reservation?
You can book the tour to the Humantay lagoon up to 1 day before. However, the most recommended is to do it between 3 to 5 days in advance or even more.
How much does horse transport to the lagoon cost?
The final walk to the Humantay lagoon is difficult as it is uphill through the mountains. You can do it with a horse that is led on foot by a muleteer. The service has an approximate cost of 100 Peruvian soles (30 US dollars) for the one-way service. The return is easier and does not require a horse, although they can find it.