5 best destinations in Peru to visit from January to April
Peru is a country that can be visited throughout the year. However, from January to April there are very good reasons to visit the South American country. Especially certain places such as: Cusco, Puno, Arequipa, Lima or the paradisiacal beaches of Piura. Learn more reasons to visit Peruvian lands in those months.
Cusco, the capital of the Incas
Cusco is undoubtedly one of the best destinations in South America. Of course Machupicchu is a great reason to visit it. However, the capital of the Incas also offers other good reasons to be visited. For example: the Sacred Valley of the Incas, the Mountain of 7 Colors, the Humantay lagoon and more.
From January to April it is the rainy season in Cusco. Although many tourists give up visiting in those months, others prefer to do so because of the low cost of hotel reservations and some tour packages. In addition, carnivals are celebrated on Sundays in February, a party full of color, dance and lots of joy.
- When to visit? In February and March, carnivals are celebrated in Cusco.
- Which places to visit? City of Cusco, the Sacred Valley of the Incas, the Mountain of 7 Colors and, of course, Machupicchu.
Puno, the festivity of the candelaria
The city of Puno is known as the ‘Capital of Peruvian Folklore’. The festival is celebrated on February 2 of each year with a procession through the streets of the city and, above all, a great dance contest in which approximately one hundred and seventy groups participate. Color, joy and dance are then transferred to the streets of the city.
A total of 40,000 dancers and musicians participate in the Candelaria festival. This festivity combines Catholic beliefs with cultural aspects of the Aymara and Quechua cultures. In total there are eight days of celebrations. The most famous day is Sunday, in which the contest of groups of dancers is held.
- When to visit? The first days of February (the first Sunday is the dance contest).
- Which places to visit? City of Puno, Lake Titicaca and its main islands.
Arequipa, the white city
Arequipa, the white city, is a tourist destination that can be visited from January to April. The reason is the good climate, hot with slight presence of rain. In addition, as in various regions of the Peruvian highlands, carnivals are celebrated, mainly in the different provinces such as the Colca Valley.
The most visited tourist attractions in Arequipa are the Colca Canyon, the Yanahuara viewpoint, the Mollendo beaches and the Salinas and Aguada Blanca National Reserve. In the first days of February the festival of the Virgen de la Candelaria of the district of Chivay is celebrated. It is a party full of color, joyful dances and delicious gastronomy.
- When to visit? In February, carnivals and the Candelaria festival are celebrated in the provinces of Arequipa and Chivay.
- Which places to visit? The Colca Canyon, the city of Arequipa, the National Reserve of Salinas and Aguada Blanca and the beaches of Mollendo.
Lima, sun and beaches in the capital of Peru
Lima is the capital of Peru and, therefore, one of the most visited places in the country. From January to April it is summer in the city and the temperature can rise to a maximum of 32ºC. The beaches of Lima, especially in the south of the city, are filled with vacationers. Other places are very popular, such as the Magic Water Circuit or the districts of Miraflores and Barranco.
The most visited beaches in the capital of Peru are La Herradura, Agua Dulce, Punta Hermosa, Asia and Huarmey. The climate is precise to taste the acclaimed ceviche, the country’s flagship dish. During the summer it is recommended to wear sunglasses, sunscreen and summer clothes. Other recommended destinations are the Chabuca Granda avenue, the Plaza Mayor of Lima and the San Cristóbal hill, all in the historic center of the city.
- When to visit? From January to March it is summer in Lima and its beaches are very crowded.
- Which places to visit? La Herradura, Agua Dulce, Punta Hermosa, Asia and Huarmey beaches.
Piura, the best beaches in the country
Piura is a region in northern Peru famous for having some of the best beaches in the country. From January to April it is summer there. The maximum temperature can reach 35ºC. The most famous beaches are: Los Órganos, Vichayito, Las Pocitas, Colán and the famous Máncora (one of the most popular tourist attractions in Peru).
Máncora is located 181 kilometers away from the city of Piura. It has a good range of hotels, with bars and nightclubs. The city of Piura, on the other hand, offers the museum house of the Peruvian hero Miguel Grau. The so-called ‘City of Eternal Heat’ has a delicious marine gastronomy. Recommended!
- When to visit? From January to April it is summer in Piura, so visiting its beaches is recommended.
- What places to visit? The beaches Los Órganos, Vichayito, Las Pocitas, Colán and the famous Máncora (one of the most popular spas in all of Peru).
By Machupicchu Terra – Last updated, January 6, 2023