Choquequirao Tour 4 days
- Know Choquequirao, called ‘the sacred sister of Machu Picchu’ due to its incredible beauty. The tour is done through a round trip hiking route that in total make 4 days of hiking and 3 nights of camping. On day 3, the visitors, after camping in Choquequirao, will visit this wonderful place little known by tourists. The tour includes everything necessary for the walk: tourist transport, a team of cooks (breakfast, lunch and dinner), a team of porters, hiking equipment, entrance to all places, a tour guide service and more.
About this tour
- Type of transport:
Large minivan with full equipment.
- Tickets included (no queues):
Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
- Tourist guide:
In English and Spanish (shared service).
Team of porters.
Cooks team (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Camp 3 days with all the necessary equipment.
At 4 in the morning on day 1 at the door of your hotel.
- Payment methods:
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, PayPal.
- Immediate confirmation.
So is the experience
- The Choquequirao Trek experience is organized so that the visitor is simply dedicated to enjoying the walk and visiting the archaeological site. The trip begins with the transfer in tourist transport from the city of Cusco to the town of Cachora, the starting point of the walk. The first days of the tour are arduous due to the fact that you will ascend through a canyon under a burning sun. On the third day we will visit the famous archaeological site of Choquequirao. Finally you will return by the same way back enjoying the beautiful landscapes. The way back is easier. In Cachora the tourist transport will wait to return it to Cusco. The tour includes everything to enjoy the adventure: transportation, entrance fees, tour guide, implements, camps, food and more.
- It all begins with the tourist picking up at the door of their hotel in the city of Cusco. The minivan will take you to the town of Cachora, near the Apurímac region. There they will enjoy a delicious lunch at the Chiquisca camp. Then restart the walk.
- Then we will descend through theApurímac canyon until we arrive at the Santa Rosa camp where we will have dinner and spend the night well wrapped up and listening to the murmur of the river.
- The last day we will enjoy a nutritious breakfast to continue with all the energy the final section of the route. We will walk through typical sections of the Andes until we arrive at the town of Capulilloc where we will taste lunch at a local restaurant.
- It all starts with the tourist pick up at the door of your hotel in the city of Cusco. The minivan will take you to the town of Cachora near the Apurímac region. There you will enjoy a delicious lunch that will fill you with energy for the walk to the Capuliyoq viewpoint from where you can see the archaeological site of Choquequirao from the top of a mountain.
- Then we will walk down the Apurímac canyon until we arrive at the Chiquisca camp where we will have dinner and spend the night well sheltered and listening to the sound of the river.
- Very early in the morning we will enjoy a nutritious breakfast made by our cooks. Then we will get ready for the walk that day will be uphill and very demanding. We will descend towards the sector known as ‘Playa Rosalina’. We will cross the river over a bridge and begin the ascent to the Santa Rosa farmhouse. We will continue on our way up through increasingly green landscapes until we arrive at our Marampata camp where we will have lunch and have the afternoon free to rest and enjoy the place.
- At the time indicated by our guide, we will have dinner and sleep in our well-conditioned camp.
- On the third day we will enjoy a delicious breakfast in the early hours of the day. Then we will get ready to continue with the walk that in a short time will take us to the archaeological site of Choquequirao.
- In the company of our tour guide we will visit its temples, squares and enclosures. The entire archaeological site will be at our disposal as there are very few visitors who arrive there mainly because it is only possible to do so with this trekking route. In the afternoon we will have lunch near the place.
- At the time indicated by the guide, we will start the return journey descending to our Chiquisca camp where we will have dinner and spend the night.
- The last day we will enjoy a nutritious breakfast to continue with all the energy the final stretch of the route. We will walk along typical roads of the Andes until we arrive at the town of Cachora, where we will taste a lunch at a local restaurant.
- Finally, our tourist transport will take us from Cachora to the city of Cusco where the tour ends.
- Pick up from the hotel.
- Transportation to the start of the walk in Cachora.
- Equipment for hiking.
- Camping equipment.
- Team of porters.
- Cooks team (breakfast, lunch, dinner).
- Tourist guide service in English and Spanish.
- First aid kit.
- Entrance to Choquequirao.
- Breakfast on day 1. Dinner on day 4.
What to bring
- Passport (or identity document).
- Hat or cap.
- Comfortable clothes for walks.
- A jacket.
- Poncho for rain.
- Extra snacks and drinks.
- Comfortable trekking shoes.
- Mosquito repellent.
Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour begins with the pick up of the tourist at the door of their hotel -valid only for hotels in the historic center of the city- (most tourist hotels are there). If your hotel is not there, the transport will pick you up at a central location in the city, such as a plaza.
- The tour ends at Plaza Regocijo in the city center (a few steps from most hotels and tourist restaurants).
How to prevent altitude sickness?
- Altitude sickness or soroche can cause you some discomfort during your visit such as dizziness, fatigue or nausea. Try to avoid alcoholic beverages and fatty foods before the visit.
- To reduce symptoms, try to acclimatize yourself one day before to the altitude of the city of Cusco. Drinking infusions of coca leaf (natural plant used by the Incas) is an excellent option.
Group or private services
- The information described applies to shared services (for a varied group of tourists). If you want a private service (for your own group of family or friends) contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Few People Visit Choquequirao?
Choquequirao is as incredible as Machu Picchu. However, unlike this one, there are no train or bus routes to get there. It can only be reached after 2 days of walking. To return you must also walk another 2 days. That is why few people visit Choquequirao. If you are lucky enough to go, you will have almost the entire archaeological site to yourself.
When is a good time to go?
The days of dry weather (between the months of April to October) are the ideal ones to do this tour. On those days it doesn’t rain much so it is easier to walk and you can better see the beautiful landscapes around. January, February and March are the rainiest months of the year. Even so, any day is a good opportunity to get to know Choquequirao.
What are the camps like?
The camps are clean, spacious and comfortable. They have bathrooms and a dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everything is included in the tour.
Can I go with children or older adults?
The tour is a bit demanding as you climb steep slopes. If you go with children (preferably over 8 years old) it is recommended that they like walks and sports. Older adults must be in good physical condition to do this route.
Tour Sacred Valley of the Incas Full Day
- Small group
- Transportation included
- Duration: 12 hours
Tour Salkantay Trek 4 days with All Inclusive
- Small group
- Transportation included
- Duration: 4 days
Tour to Sacred Valley + Machupicchu 2 Days
- Small group
- Transportation included
- Duration: 2 days